12 oz vegan ground beef (I used the one from Trader Joes)
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped white onion
1 1/2 cups potato (chopped)
1/2 cup cashews
1 carrot (chopped)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1/2 cup vegan cheddar shreds (optional but highly encouraged)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk, unflavored and unsweetened
1/2 cup lettuce (chopped or shredded)
1 small tomato (chopped)
Tortilla chips or 4 tostada shells
4 12 inch tortillas
4 small street taco style tortillas
1/2 cup vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
Olive oil for pan frying the crunchwraps
- Boil the potatoes, cashews and carrots for 20 minutes or until everything is soft.
- In a pan add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and the onions. Cook on a medium heat until onions are translucent. Then add in the vegan ground beef and taco seasoning. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes, cashews and carrots are done cooking strain them if there is any water left.
- Place it into a blender along with the nutritional yeast, salt, vegan cheddar shreds and non-dairy milk. Blend until smooth. You may need to add more non-dairy milk to get it very smooth. Taste it and make sure there is enough salt.
- Now you are ready to assemble the crunchwraps. You may want to watch the video for help.
- Start off with a 12 inch tortilla. Place a few scoops of the vegan ground beef and place it in the center of the tortilla. The circle should be about the size of the small street tortilla.
- Now you can build the rest of the filling on top of that. Place a little bit of the cheese sauce on top. Then add the tostadas or a few tortilla chips on top of the cheese sauce.
- Next spread about 1-2 tbsp of vegan sour cream over top the tortilla chips.
- Sprinkle some lettuce and tomatoes on top. Finally, top it all off with more vegan cheese sauce.
- Then take the small tortilla and place it on top of the pile of filling.
- Fold the edges of the larger tortilla up onto the smaller tortilla. It may help to watch the video for this step. The result will be a pleated hexagon type shape.
- Flip it upside down and then place it in a lightly oiled pan.
- Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes on a medium heat. Repeat with all of them.
- Serve with extra vegan sour cream, queso or hot sauce.
Makes 4 crunchwraps.